What is an affiliate really? (was Re: [thelist] Site Critiquerequested)

Andy Warwick andy.w at creed.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 13:37:17 CDT 2001

On 2001-10-08 19:07, Tony Crockford at tonyc at boldfish.co.uk wrote:

> Why not head it "affiliations"

AFAIK, Affiliate means "To associate (oneself) as a subordinate, subsidiary,
employee, or member" while Associate means "To join as a partner, ally, or
friend."

Fairly close in meaning, IMHO, and a distinction that is lost on most
people.

I'd also be worried about implying that Amazon were a subsidiary of Creed
(as if!!). Aside from that, the official name for the program is "Amazon
Associates".

Right now, I think I'll just lose the header on the box that - by its
presence - gives this context, and let the button just float free.

Regards

--
Andy Warwick

email: andy.w at creed.co.uk                      PGP ID: 0xB1D73499
Creed New Media Design                          tel: 07976 205085
Nottingham, England                        http://www.creed.co.uk