[thelist] Apache only serving pages when it feels like it

Jon Haworth jhaworth at witanjardine.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 06:51:07 CDT 2001

Andrew Forsberg is rumoured to have said:
>Jon Haworth wrote:
>
>>Hi list,
>>
>>We've got a Linux box here (2.4.5 kernel) running Apache 1.3.20, MySQL
>>3.23.39 and PHP 4.0.6. When I try and browse to it, Apache serves up the
>>pages correctly around 60% of the time - the other times it just spits out
>>the HTML for the page as if it's wrapped in <pre>...</pre> tags.
>
>Are the non-parsed page coming from somewhere under the htdocs (or
>wherever you've set it) folder? ie, they will be treated as local
>files if they're anywhere else, and won't be parsed.

Sadly not, they're all in the tree underneath /usr/local/apache/htdocs/

I forgot to mention that when you browse to this server via our proxy,
everything works fine. Unfortunately the PHBs think it's a wonderful idea
that everyone has to authenticate themselves at the proxy, which would mean
entering two usernames and passwords - one for the proxy, one for the
intranet server - and our users are going to get _very_ confused if we go
down that route. There's probably a way to set Squid up so that it doesn't
require authentication for hits against the intranet server, so it may be
time to go and read an O'Reilly book or something :-)

Cheers
Jon

'The information included in this Email is of a confidential nature and is
intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee,
any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether
inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality'