[thelist] Amazon design change

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Oct 10 04:18:58 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

I don't think Amazon (or any big site) makes that big a change
as an intended temporary measure.

Probably what they're doing is a bit of risk limitation:
Designers:"We think that the tabbed idea will improve usability and
therefore
      sales. We've done testing and it seems to do that"
Management: "Prove it works for real customers"
Designers: "We'll implement it on the live site"
Management: "If it bombs on the live site, it'll kill all our sales -
books, movies,
     toys, the lot, and we're all out of jobs."
Designers: "Hm. We don't think it will, but we need to make payments on our
   Z3s for the next 3 years. Howabout if we implement it on one area of the
site?
   If it bombs, we're still driving our Z3s. If it flies, we all go to
Hawaii on our
   bonuses, then spread it to the rest of the site when we get back"

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org