[thelist] PHP/GD/TTF and a barrel of problems....

Matt Wenham matt at mattwenham.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 10:48:11 CDT 2001

> So, is there an easy way to pass post variables to another page (in
> this case a perl script) without the browser actuall redirecting
> anywhere? Or is there a simpler way to do this?

I'd either:

1) Add the functionality of the perl script into the PHP script so that
you only have one script to do both things, or

2) Make the PHP script call the perl script itself once it had finished
its work.

> I didn't set up the dev. box (mac OS X), so I don't know exactly whats
> on there - although I do no for certain that its the most recent
> stable release of PHP and GD, as well as libPNG.

Are you absolutely sure you're using the same version of GD on both
boxes? Because...

> It works fine on the Mac box, but when I've uploaded it to our
> webserver (Solaris), the PNG generation breaks. The image doesnt load,
> and when I've taken the Header call out of the php page to see any
> errors, there are no errors reported.

...if the Solaris box has an earlier version of GD on it, it may not be
able to produce PNGs. From the PHP Manual:

"The format of images you are able to manipulate depend on the version
of gd you install, and any other libraries gd might need to access those
image formats. Versions of gd older than gd-1.6 support gif format
images, and do not support png, where versions greater than gd-1.6
support png, not gif."

That's where I'd look first.

Matt...