[thelist] Logo/Design of Syncasaurus Logo...

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Thu Oct 11 23:11:10 CDT 2001

>you a word or 2 of encouragement... you're taking on a pretty daunting
>project, but wow, what a useful one... I have been an avid BookmarkSync user
>for ages, and am very disappointed at the decision charge.

I hear ya. It's very hard for me to accept using something for about two
years, and then suddenly finding out I have to pay $100 (for Win/Mac) to
continue using it. And I only have a month to decide. Doesn't make me very
happy.

>It's fair enough from their point of view, I guess, but an open source
>one... wow. What a great idea. Good luck with the project, if there's any
>techy stuff (non-perl related) that you need, feel free to yell out.

I shall, I shall indeed. Your encouragement is help enough :)

>As far as suggestions, I would love to see (eventually, obviously) the idea

It's funny. Both of your suggestions are planned.

>of multiple 'collections'. So, under my paul at wishlist.com.au, I could have
>And then, on my work computer, I could say only to sync the first
>'collection'... but not to sync the other 2 because I don't want them on the

My tact was similar - users would flag which bookmarks they didn't want to
sync over to different machines. You could say this bookmark shouldn't sync
to my office machine, but it would still exist in your XBEL - it just would
never be converted over to your NS/IE/Opera/whatever format. That way the
master list still exists somewhere, but it would be pick and choose on
whether the list was completely shown everywhere.

This slight modification - does it work for you?

>That would also (possibly) allow "collaboration", so I could have a
>collection where I share the username/password for that collection with
>friends, who can then add their own bookmarks... just an idea.

I had a similar idea, as well. Each bookmark and folder would have an
internal ID, and people could specifically link to that ID and get updates
as you changed your own bookmark file. I also had wanted to do some
collaboration sort of thing, but that hasn't been fleshed out yet.

Unfortunately, as you know, I'm pressed for time - so I'm only attempting
to get "something to replace" BookmarkSync done by November 1st. At this
point, that means:

  - no GUI.
  - if you screw up your config, either start over or
    manually hand edit an XML file.
  - not so friendly interface, install, no docs.

Of course, I'll be more than willing to help on the install or whatever.
Again, I'm shooting for functional by the first - the cleanup and good
stuff will come as time goes on.

--
Morbus Iff ( i am your scary godmother )
http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/