[thelist] Good online resume/portfolios?

Michael Buffington mike at stirlingbridge.com
Fri Oct 12 11:29:18 CDT 2001

In addition to what others have mentioned, I think it's a good idea to
suggest that you shouldn't under estimate the impact your actual portfolio
site can have.

If your work has been restricted to private intranets that are difficult to
show, make up for it with a well developed personal site. If it's a pure web
design position you're shooting for, make sure the site's interface is sharp
and effective. If you're shooting for a database driven app position, make
your portfolio site a database driven app.

If it's obvious to a prospective employer that you've planned out your
personal site, and spent careful consideration on its, then you have a
perfect example of your skills.

I've hired people based on their personal sites alone. I find it even more
impressive when their personal sites haven't been put together sloppily.
It's almost a given that personal sites are tossed together when time
permits, and are acceptably messy at least on the back end, so when you see
one that is near perfect in every way it's quite impressive.

Hope that helps.

Michael Buffington
http://www.michaelbuffington.com