[thelist] Sub Contract Work

l a u r a *^* l y n c h cyberminkie at cyberwhirled.com
Wed Oct 17 10:34:52 CDT 2001

At 11:07 AM 10/17/01, you wrote:
>For example, I am currently
>going through the process of trying to get them to pay me for work that
>was outside the original specs, but was promised to the client and they
>believe was implied.
>
>The contract agreement that I signed was very vague and didn't cover the
>current scenario.

Live and learn. Things may be different in Australia, but generally
speaking, if it ain't in the contract you're pretty much screwed. Next
time, either subcontract on an hourly basis (so you'll get paid however
much above-and-beyond-spec they ask for) or create a very specific list of
deliverables that you're charging for, and make clear that if they need
other deliverables, they will incur additional charges. I personally charge
hourly rates for above-and-beyonds, but that's because I give deep
discounts on per-project prices (I hate keeping track of hours, and I like
to know for sure how much I'm gonna make). If you're not discounting your
hourlies for the original project price, then charge them time and a half
or double time or, really, whatever you want. But specify it in the
original contract and proposal.

Sites to check out:

http://www.guru.com
http://www.gag.org/
http://www.elance.com/

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. HTH.

l a u r a *^* l y n c h
design doyen @ cyberwhirled
http://www.cyberwhirled.com
ICQ: 1797450 AIM: cyberminkie