[thelist] Hiding images (no right click?)

Gerenday, Perry (P.) pgerenda at visteon.com
Wed Oct 17 10:57:18 CDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Faye Tarzwell(FayeC) [mailto:fayec at canada.com]

 > Sometime ago I came across a site that was using a neat technique to
 > stop people from saving (stealing??) the image files.
 > I think it used layers but I can't quite remember...I bookmarked the
 > site but it seems to have gone offline..:P
 > Can anybody tell me if there is such technique and how to
 > implement it?

Hi Flavia,

Many other contributors to [thelist] have already indicated that if you can
see the image in your browser, the image is accessible. A simple
"view/source" will give it away. However, you can make stealing your images
incredibly frustrating if you want to put enough work into it. Absolutely
positioned layers are the answer.

You can cut your images into stripes like a U.S. flag, and display them in
an interlaced fashion. For example, "your_image.gif" could be made into
"your_image_even_stipes.gif" and "your_image_odd_stripes.gif" the two pieces
of the image can be placed within DIVs and hidden anywhere between your
Style="position:absolute top:whatever; left:whatever;" to re-assemble the
image.

This way the thief --um, user will only get part of the image or have to
come back for the rest, then reassemble it them selves.

HTH

Perry Gerenday, Visual Communications Artist
www.virtually-artistic.com