[thelist] The future of XML

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 11:48:49 CDT 2001

> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > From: Peter-Paul Koch
> >
> > I call this the Principle of Browser Conservatism:
> > anything that is supported now will remain supported
> > until the end of the WWW as we know it now.
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
>whoa, hold on there cowboy.  remember something called <layer> and
><ilayer>??
>
>maybe you wouldn't call that a big one cause it wasn't a core piece of
>html.

The ditching of the Netscape 4 DOM and proprietary tags is indeed the only
time a browser vendor has blatantly transgressed the Principle. And hasn't
Netscape/Mozilla been flamed for this decision? Haven't developers moaned
and complained? From a purely business/PR point of view, was it a good idea?

Personally I see the removal of the LAYER as proof of my theory. It's one
(of the admittedly many) reasons NN6 isn't much liked by some developers.
And end users? The few Netscape diehards I talked to that tried NN6 aren't
very content and prefer to stay with NN4 or to migrate to Opera or (on
Linux) Konqueror.

>remember something called <embed>?

I must admit I've never really studied EMBED and OBJECT, so I suppose you
could be right. Are you sure NN6 doesn't support EMBED? If so, this is a
second transgression by the same browser vendor. (But then, OBJECT was
required anyway for IE)
ppk