[thelist] Hiding images (no right click?)

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:57:43 CDT 2001

> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > From: Peter-Paul Koch
> >
> > > no security is better than a false sense of security.
> >
> > It would only be a false sense of security if I'd say
> > "No fear, I'll protect your images from being copied".
> > Instead I say "I'll do what I can but truly preventing
> > it isn't possible", which is true and also serves to
> > satisfy the client.
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
>if "truly preventing is isn't possible", then isn't "I'll do what i can" a
>false statement?

No, I *am* doing what I can (though I admit it isn't much). Still, a lot of
newbies will be at least temporarily stopped by a script such as this.
Besides, it serves as a polite reminder that the images are copyrighted.

>i don't know of any clients i've ever dealt with who'd be satisfied >with
>that statement or continue to insist on ridiculous things like
>no-right-click scripts, goofy plug-ins, or weird positioning trickery
> >after having the negative effects of these "techniques" described to
> >them.  (god forbid they come out of the woodwork for me now)

Our client was satisfied. He quoted a vague rumour that there was some
terrific application that would track copied images. We asked him to provide
details, never heard from it again. He fully understood that this script was
not a perfect protection and agreed with its use.

ppk