[thelist] RE: The future of XML

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 03:50:47 CDT 2001

> > People will soon be viewing your site with a text browser
> > that only show 6 lines at a time.
>

>I think this is a way too often used argument in favour of XML/XSLT. It
>assumes that you can use the same content from your web site on a WAP phone
>or PDA - you can't. If I do a 2000 word article for my web site, I can't
>just transform the XML and present it as WML. I could do the really dodgy
>thing of "here is the synopsis, check out the following url if you want to
>read on" but how crap is that? You need to write content specifically for
>each channel otherwise you will just end up with content that is bad for
>all
>channels.

I agree completely. When using XML, you have to transform the XML separately
for each device.

Besides the much-announced PDA/mobile phone 'revolution' hasn't taken place
yet. Although there are some people using these devices the problem is that
the display is just too bloody small for people used to computer screens,
and they're too user-unfriendly for the complete newbies who don't know the
blessings of real monitors yet.

ppk