[thelist] Google Pagerank & Validation

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.com
Thu Oct 18 15:56:11 CDT 2001

: 1. Would it be a good idea to incorporate some sort of W3 validation
: checker into Google's (or any other search engine's) pagerank scheme? My
: idea is that pages that have fewer or no accessibility/w3 validation
: errors would get a slightly higher pagerank. How would this affect the
: quality of the results? As soon as word got out that validated web pages
: score higher in Google, you can sure bet that web programmers around the
: world will be scrambling to get their pages up to snuff...

I think it would knock a couple pretty serious sites out of the index, such
as microsoft.com.  Believe it or not, that would be a disservice to a lot of
people since their own search engine is so cruddy.

Remember, the w3c sets standards that browsers/designers can follow.  It may
not be appropriate to penalize sites that have proprietary methods if they
do the job.

: 2. Is it technically possible?

Yes

-joshua