[thelist] Google Pagerank & Validation

Megan Holbrook meganwh at prodigy.net
Thu Oct 18 16:08:33 CDT 2001

Joshua Olson wrote:

> I think it would knock a couple pretty serious sites out of the index, such
> as microsoft.com.  Believe it or not, that would be a disservice to a lot of
> people since their own search engine is so cruddy.
>
> Remember, the w3c sets standards that browsers/designers can follow.  It may
> not be appropriate to penalize sites that have proprietary methods if they
> do the job.

Just an idle thought: What about having the search engine site be able
to show you only sites that will work appropriately on the browser and
plugins you're using?

The site would have to be able to read your browser and plugin
capabilities and javascript state (y/n), and also be able to figure out
which technologies and what level of standards the sites are using to be
able to show the list of links correctly. But then you'd only have to
visit sites that you'd be able to use properly, and sites would be
rewarded for supporting older or a greater variety of browsers as much
as possible.

Is this possible, in theory?

M.

Megan Holbrook - megan at kapow.com
Partner - Business Development
kapow, inc. (www.kapow.com)

kapow, inc. Milwaukee               kapow, inc. Los Angeles
2405 E. Wyoming Place               2130 Sawtelle Blvd, #302A
Milwaukee, WI 53202                 Los Angeles, CA 90025
T: 414-273-2446 * F: 419-793-6271   T: 310-479-2020 * F: 310-473-3711