[thelist] The future of XML

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Thu Oct 18 17:11:12 CDT 2001

>But it adheres to the Principle of Browser Conservatism by still
supporting
>EMBED, so this only backs up my theory. (They should support OBJECT too,
>though, I agree with that).

I'll give you two MS examples. One was already given, but you seem to have
missed it So I'll toss it out again:

>From Jeff:
><embed> is only the most widely used method of, well, embedding things
like
>flash, movies, and numerous other plug-ins into a webpage.
>
>microsoft took support of the <embed> tag out of ie6 since it wasn't part
of
>the spec.  i'm guessing they feel that most anybody that's authoring for
the
>web also has a version of their page handy to serve up to those willing to
>use the <object> method of embedding content.

MS *also* removed all support for Netscape-style plug-ins from IE6, so
anyone who had plug-ins (or who relied on plug-ins to view content) lost
out. In fact, webmasters with QuickTime movies on their pages had to recode
to serve the movies under the new IE6 format.

Sorry, I don't believe in the PBC. I think browser makers will take
anything out of their browsers they bloody well feel like taking out,
regardless of how many folks it discomfits. After all, it doesn't hurt MS
one bit if you decide you're going to use Opera as your browser. Tags will
disappear as time goes on. Support for some functions will go away.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

Arlen.P.Walker at JCI.Com