[thelist] ColdFusion performance

Pete Freitag pf at cfdev.com
Thu Oct 18 17:36:16 CDT 2001

>I understand CF5 is supposed to be much 'faster', especially on Linux,
>but haven't really seen anything technical to back this up yet..

Have you seen Macromedia's ColdFusion Performance Brief:

http://www.cfdev.com/cf5/cf5performance.pdf

Granted these tests were performed by Marcomedia, and could easily be very
biased (ie making test pages that exploit specific improvements heavily)
they claim a 3.5 as many pages/day served, and average page response times
4x CF4.5.

"Performance tests on Linux were performed using Penguin Systems, Red Hat
7.0, kernel version
2.4.4 servers, with 512 MB of RAM and 1x18GB SCSI drives. Tests were run
using single and dual
933 MHz Pentium III processor configurations to demonstrate SMP scalability.
Back-end database
connectivity was to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 running on a quad 500Mhz Compaq
Proliant 6500.
All tests were run using 100 VU simulated with Segue Silk Performer version
4.1.
The ability to process page requests more quickly allows ColdFusion Server 5
to service more
requests than ColdFusion Server 4.5.1 during an equivalent period of time.
These benchmarks
demonstrate that Linux enjoyed the most substantial performance improvement
over ColdFusion
version 4.5.1. As illustrated in Figure 3, ColdFusion Server 5 can deliver
over 3.5 times more pages
during a 24-hour period than ColdFusion 4.5.1."

"ColdFusion Server 5 also displayed significant reductions in average page
processing time ColdFusion Server 4.5.1 SP 2. Figure 4 illustrates the
improvement in average page response time
in ColdFusion Server 5 as processors are added versus the decreasing SMP
performance exhibited
in ColdFusion 4.5.1. This figure also illustrates average page response
times up to 4 times faster
than ColdFusion Server 4.5.1 on multi-processor machines."

Above Quotations are from the Macromedia Performance Brief Whitepaper.

Pete Freitag (pfreitag at cfdev.com)
CFDEV.COM
ColdFusion Developer Resources
http://www.cfdev.com/