[thelist] weird user stats

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 06:35:58 CDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:45:08 -0700, "Brad Miller" <brad at beldamar.com>
wrote:

> And how do we get referrers like this one?
> http://piss.me.off

This one looks like someone using a proxy of some kind. Banner/cookie
blocking proxies will allow you to change the referrer passed to the
site you're visiting quite easily.

For example, the Junkbuster proxy has the following option.

[garrett at cincinnati junkbuster]$ cat config | grep -A 3 Referer
# referer specifies treatment of the "Referer:" header
# setting this to . allows referer out unchanged
referer         .

As you can see, I have mine set to . which allows the referer out
as is, but I could just as easily change that to
http://hey.quit.peaking or even http://microsoft.com.

Other proxy software will probably have a similar config switch, but
Junkbuster is the only one I have experience with.

Dmoz has quite a comprehensive list of the proxy options out there:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Servers/Proxy/Filtering/

HTH

G.