[thelist] why don't more sites use <label> tag?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 22 06:01:06 CDT 2001

>I can't figure out why more sites don't use the <label> tag.  Google
>doesn't even use it.  Does <label> completely mess up some browser I
>haven't seen?

I was sufficiently interested to do some testing. It turns out that only
Explorer does something with the LABEL tag, though presentation isn't messed
up in other browsers.

>I'm also using the fieldset tag and I _know_ this really gets messed up on
>some browswers.  I'm in the process of getting rid of the <fieldset> tags.

Tested this also and I don't see any reason to get rid of the FIELDSET and
LEGEND. The only drawback is that browser that don't support it put the
LEGEND text in the page anyway, usually on an ugly place. If you solve this
problem I think they're eminently usable.

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/tests/fieldset.html for the tests.

ppk