[thelist] your opinion solicited on coding specs I requested from contractor

Tara Cleveland taracc at home.com
Mon Oct 22 10:03:47 CDT 2001

Sorry, I'm a bit late with this, but I'd add two things to your specs.

1. Specify the doc type you want them to use. I can't tell you the number of
times I've had people not use doc types at all.
2. Specify that they must use classes that are a description of the style, not
what the style is used for. For example, instead of using <span
class="Intro_title">Hello world!</span> They should put <strong
class="large_bold">Hello world!</strong>. I find that CSS, especially in a
large project with different people using it at different times gets very
confusing. So people end up using <span class="Intro_title"> on things that are
not an introduction or a title, or they make up a new class, exactly the same
as intro_title and your style sheets become unmanageable and redundant.

HTH,

Tara Cleveland