[thelist] Stopping Printing in IE 5.5

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Oct 23 10:37:46 CDT 2001

Karl,

> I am trying to find a way to disable any and all printing using IE 5.5 on
Windows so
> as to show read-only documents. It is not difficult to block off regions
of a page,
> but I would rather stop printing altogether. Does anyone have any ideas?

    You might want to consider using the full-blown Adobe Acrobat package. I
believe that you can set security so that the user can neither copy the text
nor print the document. It would probably not prevent the user from snapping
and OCRing screen prints, but not many are likely to do that with documents
of any length. There is probably no fool-proof solution on the Internet --
just ways of making the task harder for those who wish to thwart you.

James Aylard