[thelist] srand in php

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Oct 23 17:31:00 CDT 2001

At 6:10 PM -0400 23/10/01, noah wrote:
>I was just curious as to why the first digit of a 10 digit number was always 1

Me too.

>Thanks for that

You're quite welcome! It's fun to find problems on evolt to solve --
more intriguing than the pile o' work that's sitting here next to me

At 5:58 PM -0400 23/10/01, Jay Greenspan wrote:
>I can think of a couple of hacky ways to get a random number that's
>10 digits, but I'd like to see what other list members will come up

Please put me out of my misery and let me know how you (or other
evolters) would do it. Would this be ok? Or is it a bit too

$key_a = 100000 * mt_rand(10000,99999);
$key_b = mt_rand(10000,99999);
$key = floor ($key_a + $key_b);

Andrew Forsberg