[thelist] submenu's in dropdown menu's?

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Oct 23 18:24:13 CDT 2001

Marius,

> A short while ago I saw in a site drop-down menu's that contained
> submenu's just like we know them from the menubar in mac os or the
> windows task bar and many DHTML implementations in websites.
> Does anyone know what the correct markup should be for such a menu?
> Is it well supported by browsers?

    You might be thinking of the <optgroup> element [1], which, as its name
suggests, is an element that contains groups of option elements. The
functionality that you describe is suggested in W3C documentation of the
<optgroup> element; however implementation is per browser make, model, and
platform, and I have never actually seen it implemented as you describe. IE
6 and Netscape 6 (in the PC world) implement it simply as an unselectable
header for the <option> elements that it contains.

James Aylard

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#edef-OPTGROUP