[thelist] Em-sizing fonts = usable on Macs? [WAS Re: Site Critique Please (thereformist.com)]

Paul Peterson paul at thereformist.com
Wed Oct 24 14:01:46 CDT 2001

Martin,

I think you overstate the "near-100% loss of usability for Mac users". Since
my last posting, I tested the site (now at http://www.thereformist.com) with
Mac-IE's default browser preferences, which sets the proportional font size
to 16. It looked *just as good* as it would on Windows.

Since most users don't mess with their browser preferences, the pages should
look perfectly readable to a typical Mac user. Advanced users who DO tweak
their pref's would also be more apt to change font sizes to their liking. I
am constantly adjusting font sizes on my browser when viewing sites with
too-small or too-large type.

I gave this rant to basically say I think I have come up with a good
compromise of designer/user control. I do appreciate your input and am
grateful for it. Unfortunately, the nature of the WWWBeast dictates that
it's practically impossible to design for consistent viewing on every
conceivable platform. So I made a choice to give greater control of my page
(i.e. liquid design and em-sizing of fonts) to the vast majority of users.

That, I believe, IS a happy balance.

Best Regards,
Paul

[If anyone else feels strongly about em-sizing one way or the other, feel
free to chip in.]