[thelist] application/gzip-compressed error (was: Mac: ...)

Andrew Chadwick andrew.chadwick at prnewswire.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 10:07:47 CDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 04:45:24PM +0200, billybad wrote:
> i have a strange problem on macintosh...
> from time to time, when i open the page http://www.vw.be/
> an alert box raises
>
> "Internet Explorer doesn't know how to handle the type
> of the file you have selected
>
> Mime type: application/gzip-compressed

[snip. I downloaded the page and ran it through "file", and it is
indeed a gzipped HTML file]

> can anyone tell me how can that problem be fixed

Looks like a broken server to me. I tried the URL you mentioned
(Volkswagen Belgium) in galeon and in lynx (both of which support
compressed downloads) under Debian GNU/Linux, and it broke just as you
described in both.

I'd fix the problem by not buying their cars (heh.)

Oh, right. Erm, possibly the file is already compressed on the server,
or perhaps it's being served up with the wrong MIME type Either way,
its not a client-side problem.

--
Andrew Chadwick, UNIX/Internet Programmer, PR Newswire Europe, Oxford