[thelist] Unsolicited, maddening feature about IE6/Win to kno w about

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Thu Oct 25 13:57:28 CDT 2001

Just go under "Internet Options" and turn off the auto image sizing.  I too
found it annoying and I turned it off.  Stop the insanity!! :)

	Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Crawford [mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 1:25 PM
To: evolt.org's "thelist"
Subject: [thelist] Unsolicited, maddening feature about IE6/Win to know
about

<tip type="beware the auto-resize feature of Win IE6">
IE6 for Windows is pretty nifty.

But one thing which is NOT nifty is the auto-resize dealy bop.

Some of us like being able to right click on an image and see the height
and width in pixels.

Example - go here:
http://websandiego.org/wsd_media/websandiego-wall1024.gif
This image is 1024 x 756 - but in all likelihood if you have a
resolution that's relatively small, IE6 has fit it in the window, and is
telling you that the Dimensions are some other number.

I find it insane that it is telling you the /viewed/ size and not the
/actual/ size of the image. On an html page, I can see a sense of what
the height and width are - but as a standalone, I think it should tell
you the actual dimensions.

How did I find this? Well, I was wondering what the default size for a
background image was - so I loaded it up, and dutifully began working on
an image that size (thinking that I could trust the numbers) - of course
when slotted into place it was screwed up.

So beware! Don't trust the numbers from a Right-Click -> Properties
unless the image is /really/ being viewed at actual size in IE6.

</tip>

This drove me nuts, and I've been meaning to share it.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>
--
...................  Joe Crawford \\ Web Design & Development
.....  mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com \\ http://www.avencom.com