[thelist] MSN locks out non IE browsers

Matt mspiegler at lightbulbpress.com
Fri Oct 26 08:31:37 CDT 2001

".jeff" wrote:

> how is it any different than
> an art site shutting out all non-netscape users?

It's different in the same way that if a Soho Club chooses to exclude certain
people that's their prerogative, but if Walmart has a door policy, that's
another thing altogether. MSN is a whole lot closer to a Walmart of the web
than an exclusive club or gallery. I hear where you're coming from, but I
honestly don't believe that they're doing this to force users to upgrade to
standards compliant browsers. MS also has announced a policy of no longer
supporting 3rd party plugins unless they're developed for ActiveX, But I don't
recall ever seeing any announcement by the W3C that ActiveX was the standard of
the future.