[thelist] Index.dat file in I.E.

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Sun Oct 28 21:41:54 CST 2001

Sometime ago I was given instructions on how to delete Outlook Express's
index.dat file. Since it gets real bloated over time, you can regain some
disk space by doing this. I hadn't done this since I upgraded to I.E. 5.5.
So today I tried it and, lo and behold, I got an "access denied" message!
Looked thru the MS Knowledge Base for an answer/solution but couldn't find
one.

Anyone know how to do this now?

P.S. This is how it was done before. At the MS-DOS prompt, change the dir
from c:\windows to c:  Then, type in del
c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5\index.dat <enter>. IE automatically rebuilds
the file after that.

Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com