[thelist] Index.dat file in I.E.

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sun Oct 28 22:34:05 CST 2001

Sharon,

I don't think you need to do this at all now (if you ever did before).  The
temporary files directory you show below is for IE's cache.  You can modify
your cache size and options from the Tools/Internet Options menu in IE.

For Outlook, the way to compress file sizes, is to go File, Folder, Compact
Folders (from OE menu).  This should eliminate any wasted space.  Depending
on your view in OE, don't have a mailbox open when you compact the folders,
otherwise it won't do that one.  (Tho, there is an option to compact just
the current one.)

 IE 5.5 and maybe sooner, uses *.dbx files to store mailboxes/folders.  On
my system, they can be found at:  C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express.  I have safely deleted old *.dbx files
and/or  backed up just that file.  For example, when I've finished working
on a project, and don't anticipate anymore work from the client, I'll
archive the entire dbx file with the projects' files.  You can copy and
paste those DBX files to another computer and have those mailboxes show up
there too.  And if you ever need to reinstall windows, you can archive all
the files in one spot.

Anyway, hope I've answered your question, tho not specifically.  FWIW (for
what its worth), I had one index.dat file in the folder you mention and it
was only 3 k... hardly going to save me any space ;)

Good luck, holler back if you are still having problems.

Michele