[thelist] Automatically Size User-Loaded Images

Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM
Mon Oct 29 14:08:04 CST 2001

<snip>
In that case, it's gonna depend on the resources you have available.

The first point is that client-side is out. Forget it ;-)

If you're using PHP, then as Michael mentioned you can do it using the GD
library functions - it's not too difficult at all, but required that PHP is
built with the right options. Perl can also use GD. If you're on ASP, then
there are many commercial components that will give you that functionality.
I haven't found anything free though, so you're looking at a licensing
cost.
If you're on Cold Fusion, then someone else should be able to answer, I
have
no idea.

Basically, limiting file size can usually be done with no problems,
whichever programming environment you're using it will be a case of
checking
when the file arrives at the server. It's normally an anvironment variable.

For image dimensions, you're looking at one of the solutions mentioned
above, however if you use a solution that can read the image dimensions,
you'll probably be able to resize them to make thumbnails as well.

.steve
</snip>

Yeah from the feedback I'm getting I think limiting filesize may be just
the key.  Basically we'll have them uploading a picture of their product.
I'm just concerned that we keep the user from screwing things up!  :)
We'll actually be doing the application in Domino as a web app, so we can
control the filesize with some server-side LotusScript.

Thanks for your help.

-Ron