[thelist] sactifying GNU software

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 19:07:00 CST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:42:45 -0800, "spinhead" <evolt at spinhead.com>
wrote:

> Is there a common-sense way for an admin with (severely) limited *nix
> knowledge to choose/sanctify software if they can't do it from
> personal knowledge/experience?

Installing software on *nix is vastly different than doing it on win32
platforms. You don't tend to get the library incompatabilities that the
win32 platform suffers from (not trying to start a platform war here,
just my experience). Which may be the answer you're looking for.

What sort of *nix platform are we talking about here? What sort of
software? Will the users have CLI access? If not, then I can't see how
they would install software in the first place (without going through
you first) unless they fancied compiling from source (dan... you ever
tried to install rpm's/deb's as a user?)

If you can give us some more info then we'll see you right *:)

G.