[thelist] pricing for reused elements

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sat Nov 3 23:05:38 CST 2001

On Nov 3, J J had something to say about Re: [thelist] pricing for reused...

>But to add to that, in some cases, if I know it's
>something I can resell to others and profit on, I'll
>discount it to client A, then sell to B, C, D, all at
>the same price.

yeah.

personally, i've always had an issue of ethics with regard to code i know
i'll reuse. if i'm creating a product to sell/resell, why should one
client brunt the full development costs of that?

in other words, i'm creating a shopping cart for client A, but I realize I
can reuse it for other clients. Personally, I don't think it's right to
charge normal development fees to client A for a product that i'll turn
around and resell at a lesser price. so, client A's $$$ for the
development of the product benefits client B, etc.

or, Adobe is creating a product called Photoshop for you. you pay to have
that developed. and then they take that and resell it at a lower cost than
you paid. a tad different, yes, but comparable.

i've always tried to develop common products in my own time, and factor an
equal amount into the price for development. or, at the very least,
discount the development costs.

but, the other side of it is that when i do a copy&paste job from code
i've already written, i'll tack on a portion of the development costs for
that code. but, the point is that it's a constant amount.

my two cents.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com