[thelist] tricky use of tables(or CSS)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 6 11:21:25 CST 2001

> From: Matt <mspiegler at lightbulbpress.com>
>
> OK, I know this is a mighty tall order, but I'm wondering if anyone
> has ever seen an effective use of tables or DIV's to create a curve? I
> don't mean a sliced up image, I mean literally a curve constructed
> only of table cells, or DIV's. I would want to do this so that the
> color of the curve could be changed via CSS. Any help would be
> appreciated even if it's just to laugh at my pipe dream :)

i've never seen just tables/divs pull that off... by they're very  nature,
they're squares...

two possible ways to handle it:

- make a table constructed of cells at 1px x 1px, then re-color
entire rows and the like... this *can* be done, since i've messed
with stuff like this before, but your table code will be larger (in some
cases) than the images needed to do the same thing... just
imaging your photoshop file zoomed way in is an HTML table and
you'll see what i mean...

- make a curve as defined by it's *negative* space (the parts
outside the curve)... slice that up, making sure that the part that is
the curve is *transparent* and the outside of the curve is the color
of the page... then define colors in those cells, and the non-curve
portions will mask it... you'll probably be best served with aliased
edges so you don't have halos... of course, printing these pages
will look funny, probably...