[thelist] alt tags on all images (was Site Check)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 7 12:27:38 CST 2001

> From: noah <noah at tookish.net>
[...]
> If you build a header out of several different images, someone using a
> text-to-speech or text-only browser has to either listen to a long
> list of alt text or look at a jumble of relatively insignificant text
> at the top of the page - I would much prefer to just add alt text to
> one image, and have non-graphical browsers simply ignore the others.

download Lynx, view that site, read it aloud...

you could also get a browser for the disabled, but Lynx is a good
one to have for a myriad of reasons...

i'd much rather see a page of:

"Welcome to Foobar"

than:

[IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE]"Welcome to
Foobar"[IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE
][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE]

and if that can be achieved by using (valid and correct) empty alt
attributes in all my image tags, then you can be darn sure i'm
going to include them...