[thelist] Paypal

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Wed Nov 7 16:41:09 CST 2001

On 11/7/2001 8:02 AM -0800 Ed wrote:

> I find this an interesting issue. I believe Paypal is backed by some
> pretty serious financial industry players (Weigel being one, I
> believe).  I don't think they are doing this to run a shady operation.
>
> Early on they were repeatedly hacked and attacked by financial
> hackers and had to tighten up security.
> I wonder if this stealth approach is one to also help improve
> security, keep their security guards from getting paid off, etc.
>
> I still belive it's a major concern, so I'm not defending their
> position, but just expressing the hunch that they may be doing this
> on purpose.

This sounds valid, but I'm more likely to think that maybe they're just
trying to get customers to use their online forms to submit questions.
This helps them route questions to the proper authority, gives their
people time to come up with an answer rather than making them hold
impatiently, and allows them to keep detailed records of who said what
to whom when.

My employer recently cleansed much of its contact information from its
website for this exact same reason.

Regards,
Toby

--