[thelist] Request for site check

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Wed Nov 7 21:53:35 CST 2001

> The site is http://members.cac.net/sjec. I did have a better URI, but
> someone forgot to pay the bill as I discovered tonight when I tried to
> validate the html online (Argh!).

 - I'd use a feature box within the frontdoor instead of the pop-up window
for refresher courses. I expected the pop-up box to be an ad and would've
closed it instinctively if I wasn't providing a critique.

 - Banner ad is pretty dark and unimaginative. Constant animation is *very*
irritating and distracting. (Content is infuriating, but hey, that's just
me. :p)

 - Address is too cramped and close to the shield. Give it some space.

 - I expected the thermometer icon to link to some kind of daily temperature
feature. It didn't. I'd try something else in that position.

 - The colour scheme correctly draws from the logo, but is very
business-like. You can balance this with fun and full colour photographs.
Also, the images within the site are of varying styles and quality. You have
one dark photograph, a coloured sketch, and what looks like a freebie
temperature icon. Try to pick 2 of the 3 styles to use (dumping the icon
would be my choice).

 - The frontdoor picture of the church is empty and bland. Personally, I
would rather not see any church thrive, but you'll have to find a different
picture of you want to sell the services of it.

 - No pictures elsewhere within the site. Quite boring.

 - Severe lack of community feeling. No pictures of any members anywhere.

Otherwise, the site is straightforward enough, and I noticed no real
usability issues.

I had the misfortune of doing one church site (substantial regret) early in
my web career:

	http://www.heights.org.au

And while I'd never go near one again (or put my name to work of this
quality or content), to their credit they were receptive to ideas that gave
the site slightly more of a dynamic and friendly feel. You might find some
ideas worth using (meeting the team includes photos of key members and their
families, etc).

Also, it may be a good idea to include snippets of your creative brief in
future criqitue requests so we know what aims you were trying to achieve
with the site. Otherwise, we're left to guess. Those snippets could be as
complex or simple as you have available.

Anyway, good luck. I hope some of my suggestions are useful.

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au