[thelist] Re: newbie and svg

Richard Bennett mail at richardinfo.com
Thu Nov 8 05:30:23 CST 2001

Hi,
I'm afraid you've been tricked by the hype.
SVG certainly is an open standard, and has addressed many accesibility
issues that Flash hadn't (although they're catching up too) that doesn't
mean that by using SVG your pages are suddenly accessible, and search-engine
ready.
Quite the oposite.
SVG is not as yet embedded natively in any browsers except Mozilla, in all
others a pluggin is needed.
(and as people generally don't want to code two versions of an SVG document,
they code for the pluggin version)
There was a discussion about this just last week on the SVG developers list
(here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers )
and although Google now supports searching through .pdf files, they have no
support for SVG pluggins.

Your page looks something like this to a S.E. :

**************
    you can get your svg plugin here >
    keyboard controls for zooming - IN cmd
    OUT - shift cmd
    moving hand - alt

    clock
    compressedsvgatlast
    svgpioneering
    svgviewerid2
    svgatlast

    svgz
    compression
    4K
    svgz
    compression
    8K
****************

Another thing that's a little misleading is that you write :
    svgz
    compression
    4K
Beside a Flash animation.

>to help me create a platform for visually impaired
> netzines.
In that case I wouldn't use small black text on a dark green background.

Cheers,
Richard.