[thelist] links --> new windows on demand

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sat Nov 10 16:49:37 CST 2001

rudy wrote:

> excellent tip, by the way -- any database designer worthy of the name will
> know not to make both first and last name mandatory, so i guess the only
> question is, should the mandatory field be first or last?

Aren't "first name / last name" a Western standard? If we use the
terms "given name" and "surname" it's more universally applicable.

My impression is that there are places where people go by a given
name without using a surname, but not the other way around.

But then, I'm not an, er, uh, someone who studies names, whatever
they're called :-)

--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --