[thelist] SMTP/CDONTS trouble

Michael Juarez mjuarez at telseon.com
Mon Nov 12 13:09:38 CST 2001

Thanks.

Turns out there was a problem allowing traffic through the firewall. In
order for someone to send email via the Webserver, the firwall needs to
allow outbound traffic through the port the SMTP server uses, otherwise,
email messages cannot be relayed by the server.

There is a security issue here, however, as the SMTP server is now open
to be used as a relay point for any external server, and the firwall is
open for traffic on the SMTP port. The gap can be closed by placing
relay restrictions on the virtual SMTP server to allow hosts within a
certain IP range to relay messages, thereby preventing spammers from
piggybacking on your own server. Those of you out there setting up stuff
like this might want to take into consideration...

MJ