[thelist] CSS

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Nov 12 14:48:36 CST 2001

Michael Barrett
-O^O- wrote:

>I think displaying alt text as a tool tip is 'handy' as it can provide a
>description of an element.

Okay, but that is not the purpose of "alt," while it IS the purpose
of "title."  Also, title can be used on any HTML element, not just
images.  I find it particularly handy for links...

>However, even if not up to spec...displaying alt-text as a tool-tip is
>useful, or at least potentially useful to anyone browsing, regardless of
>whether they are browsing in a text only form or not.

as a designer, I would prefer that tool tips do not pop up unless I
*want* a tool tip to pop up.  Yet I will always use some sort of alt
attribute for accessibility....

Current Mac browsers don't "do the tool tip thing" with alt text.  I
haven't seen "alt" text displayed that way since 1998 when I worked
on a PC.

Erika