[thelist] FAQ (was: Protecting your code from viewing)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Nov 14 03:43:05 CST 2001

At 12:00 PM 11/14/2001, you wrote:
>hi madhu

Hey Rude.

>great idea

Thank you. It's hardly original, however.

>how about a tongue-in-cheek faq for web development that gives nothing but
>one-line answers to the more famous questions
>
>along the lines of http://hyweljenkins.com/support/mfaq.htm but removing
>the abusive replies to discussion list newbies and substituting the more
>well-known answers such as

While I find it funny, it's exactly what it's described as - venting of a
list member. The purpose of our FAQ should be to *help* people, not leave
them going, "huh?".

Wowee! I got all the questions to your answers. We really should convert it
to a proper FAQ (it's not much work), and upload it somewhere. After that,
we can add an X-header to the list messages like "X-FAQ:
http://evolt.org/docs/thelist-faq.cfm"

Whenever someone posts a question like, "why do I see these spaces in
Netscape 4.x?", we can just point them to the FAQ. This has the wonderful
benefit of reducing list traffic greatly because as soon as some question
like the above is posted to thelist, 10 people jump in with the same
answers (which is great, but repetitive).

(and perhaps get rid of some of those gratuitous X-headers currently in
place ;)

What do you think? (should this be on theforum?)

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net