[thelist] Lost Linux Pass

Frank framar at interlog.com
Wed Nov 14 17:20:41 CST 2001

Oy! I think I may have screwed myself. I'm running RedHat Linux 6.x
and for some reason my password seems to have disappeared. Recently
my cable provider has forced me to move from a static IP to a dynamic
one, which *may* have something to do with it.

I recognize that this may appear to be a request to hack, it's not,
the server is  my own company's, and I'm quite willing to hold this
conversation in private, to prevent the divulging of what could be
considered compromising approaches.

So here's the question:

Not having direct, physical access to the server ($500 access fee +
travel + downtime costs) I need to recupe my password, or at least
change it to something where I can regain root access. Now I'm quite
sure the password I'm using *is* the correct one, but access denied
via SSH1 seems to tell me otherwise. I might have changed it
(unlikely), but I don't have the recorded change, if indeed it was
changed.

Can someone suggest how I may go about re-accessing my machine
remotely without incurring the costs and the wrath of my team?

Thanks.

--

Our best destiny, as planetary cohabitants, is the development
of what has been called "species consciousness" - something over

Frank Marion                      Framar Studios
frank at framarstudios.com           http://www.framarstudios.com