IDE influence (was RE: [thelist] ColdFusion: Nested pound signs)

Chris Spruck cspruck at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 15 00:37:50 CST 2001

Ray,

At 08:22 AM 11/14/01 -0500, you wrote:
>It's interesting - the IDE influences your coding style. I wonder if
>people see this w/ other IDEs/languages?

Absolutely! My big thing is that the tag completion in Studio (or other
apps) drives me absolutely nuts. I guess I'm usually adding to tags or code
that's already in place and hate having to stop and delete the duplicated
closing tag or move it somewhere manually.

I've been coding in Visual Basic for a couple weeks now and immediately
turned off "Syntax Completion" when I ran across it being a pain. I was
trying to wrap a Replace function around about 10 variables in a procedure
so was going to copy and paste "Replace(" in front of each variable, then
variable name, instead of pasting the first part, copying the second,
pasting the second, recopying the first part, repasting again, etc. As soon
as I pasted the first time and clicked off that line to paste again, I got
a pop-up (and syntax error color highlighting) demanding that I close the
function with a ) first. Took two of those before I went looking for how to
kill it. :)

<tip type="Running new applications">

The first thing I usually do when running a new application for the first
time, is take a few minutes to really get to know the preferences or
options, before diving in too willy-nilly. You'll find cool stuff that will
help you immediately as well as find and switch off the things that you
know will drive you nuts right off the bat or conflict with your coding
style, like tag completion, quote formatting, bad color choices in syntax
highlighting, etc.

</tip>

Chris