[thelist] Suggestions sought

Tim McLaren tmclaren at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 16 18:51:53 CST 2001

I'm fairly new to web development though I have had many years of
experience as a programmer.  I have currently been working on a site
for a client providing much of the cgi and javascript development,
the design concepts are handled by somebody else.  All the cgi
scripting is done using perl.

The site is for a dog agency and provides facilities for people to
browse or search for dogs in the agency and view their details.  The
url for the site is http://www.dogs-on-camera.com

I have only viewed the site using Netscape 4.76 and Netscape 6 and
Explorer 5 for the mac.  I am interested to know how it works when
viewed on a pc.  The site is best view with a minimum resolution of
1024x768.

I have tried viewing the site using Opera on MacOSX as well and there
seems to be some navigation problems that I'm not sure how to fix
yet.  It could have something to do with the fact that the server
hosting the site requires the use of a different domain for accessing
the cgi scripts from the html documents.  I had a similar problem to
this with Explorer and had to find a work around.

Another problem I'm having is, because the site uses frames, when a
user bookmark the site in netscape it bookmarks the wrong frame so
that when the user uses that bookmark it loads the frame as the page.
I've put a work around in for this by testing if the page is in a
frameset and if not forces the loading of the frameset.  I would be
interested if there is a better way to do this.  This is not a
problem with Explorer.

I would appreciate any criticisms, suggestions, ideas from people on
what they think of the site and what could be done to improve it.

Thanks
Tim