[thelist] html load time

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Mon Nov 19 04:39:02 CST 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

http://www.imagemagick.org

It's a bit of a pain in the butt to install, but is great once you do.
I use it on my site to power a dropbox:
http://www.easyweb.co.uk/pics/dropbox/
where I can just drop image files into a directory and the page
builds round them. Imagemagick works out the image dimensions
so I can write out height and width attributes in the img tags.

I've also seen it used to programatically combine diagrams -
comparing spider maps of two items by overlaying them in a single
image. If you've 30 items, it's a hell of a lot quicker than churning out
900 static images in Photoshop by hand.

It's also great for producing thumbnails - there's an example of this
on the IM site somewhere.

Cheers
Martin

To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject:  RE: [thelist] html load time

Image Magick (Yup, spelt just like that) is a free (not shareware)
command line tool which, as far as I can tell, does every thing
PhotoShop does - but w/o a GUI (unless you're running X-Windows, in
which case, it's fully GUI enabled.) Don't remember the URL.

> From: "Jeana Clark" <jmclark at multiservice.com>
>
> My boss (who's a marketing dude and all about automating as much work
> as we can) is wondering if there's a server-side program (running on
> apache or NSCA) that can automatically optimize graphics to a certain
> 'size' compression etc that we can set and sort of set it as a cron
> job. Basically.. something like macros in photoshop... but done *on*
> the server.

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.
computer.