[thelist] Windows 2000 server with NT workstation

Paul Backhouse paul.backhouse at 2cs.com
Tue Nov 20 09:34:56 CST 2001

Hello people,

<!-- Apologies to people who find this a long email -->

We have a compaq prolient network server that has Windows 2000 Server
installed.

We have 5 NT workstations used by our developers - everything has been fine
until about 2 weeks ago.

Suddenly when clicking on NetWork Neigborhood nothing showed up - i though i
might have a bug or something that has developed over time and corrupted a
file somewhere - but no - this was not that case - now we have all 5 NT
workstations that occassionally lose the network neighborhood - you can use
Find a computer to see the pc you want to connect to - but this isn't great.

This has also started to happen on a couple of the Windows 98 machines we
have aswell.

I was wondering if anyone out there has come across this problem before with
Windows 2000 Server supporting NT Workstations or has any clue why this has
started to happen?

All the NT Workstations have the latest Service pack and have been working
fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I am at a loss and our Network admin
guy is at a loss aswell - and theres no mention of this problem anywhere on
the micorsoft support area.

Many thanks

Paul Backhouse