[thelist] Machine/Computer Name

Jon Hall jonhall at ozline.net
Wed Nov 21 12:10:52 CST 2001

Are you thinking about the Windows Netbios name? This isn't sent to the web
server by any browser that I know of. It is possible to get the Netbios
name, but it would be far from perfect. A user running a firewall or a non
windows machine will not send back the name...
If you are running Win2k (not sure about nt or 9x), but at the command
prompt type nbtstat -A <ip address> and you will get the netbios name along
with other stuff. If you wanted to do this on a web server, you would
probably want to build a server side component to connect to the machine and
grab the name and return it to your web site, rather than parsing nbtstat
though.

jon