[thelist] dedicated modem net access

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Nov 22 22:11:52 CST 2001

> Do any of the Australian list members know of any good,
> cheap dedicated modem deals? My Dad pays for the internet,
> and only wants dedicated modem, so he doesn't have to pay a
> huge phone bill (no can't get broadband), but the Telstra
> deal he has, while cheap, only gives 105 mb of download a
> month, and then charges 18c per mb after that, which
> presents a bit of a problem to me.

We had a couple of Optusnet accounts that were around $40/month. Data limit
is probably 250MB. I cancelled mine 6 or so months ago when we got ADSL at
the office, but for the year I did have it, it was reliable.

You might like to consider, though, that a dedicated line + dedicated modem
account = $22 + 40 = $60+. I think the consumer-level ADSL accounts are
probably only marginally more expensive and don't require the extra phone
line (you can get a splitter to enable you to share a single line). The
deciding factor may be the high setup cost with ADSL (the router and stuff
like that).

Beware: Once you've tasted ADSL, it's hard to go back to pitiful modem
speeds...

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au