[thelist] RE: removing claret from IE (Here's how to do it)

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Sun Nov 25 11:43:04 CST 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Rob

The BFD is that removing it (to save your annoyance) makes the site
entirely unusable to certain classes of user. Who will suffer more than
annoyance.

This is the kind of thinking which says "No, but steps look better on all
buildings -
why do we need to have ramps? Of course ballot papers shouldn't be in
braille -
we don't want blind people voting after all. It's too much trouble to put
that
flood warning out on the TV, so we'll only do radio"

This is why we have laws - because some people will always be this
ignorant.

And also, to design anything but a personal project entirely for yourself
is
really rather arrogant. If you're designing for a client, I'm sure that
they'll thank
you for turning away 10% of the audience at the door. And given that a
dissatisfied person complains to (on average) 11 other people, you're
certainly gaining a powerful viral reputation for the client. Just not one
they'll thank you for.

Cheers
Martin

To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject:  [thelist] RE:  removing claret from IE (Here's how to do it)

Frankly, I don't see the what the BFD is about this -- "accessibility" or
otherwise.  I find the dotted lines to be intensely annoying (esp. on image
maps), and they aren't rendered in most browsers other than IE anyway, so
that (IMHO) makes any argument for accessibility moot.  The claret is not a
standard as such, although it is common to most Micro$oft products.

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.
computer.