[thelist] Re: Search Engines

Øyvind Vestavik Oyvind.Vestavik at idi.ntnu.no
Mon Nov 26 06:19:06 CST 2001

You don't have to pay money to get into a searchengines idexes.
The spiders of the search-engines traverse the web reading pages all the
time, There are ways to prevent them from indexing your pages (search the
web for robots.txt) and to make them index your site in specific ways.
If you are making a site about codfish you can use the metatag Keyword to
insert the word as many indexing robots make use of those, or you can
insert the Codfish-word into your text many times. A sneaky way to do this
is to insert  "codfish" any number of times using extremelig small fonts
and the same font colour as your page background so that it won't be
vivible to the user, but the robot will give it a high ranking on searches
on "codfish". There is some information on how to "attract the attention"
of spiders on the homepages of individual search-engines (no-one obey the
same rules)  or you can check out http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html

Øyvind Vestavik