[thelist] CDONTS and Web-based email readers (ASP)

Shaun Anderson shaunanderson at shaunanderson.info
Mon Nov 26 14:32:43 CST 2001

heh

There isn't an attachment actually.

The example was interpreted as an attachment.  Hadn't thought of that.

If I had sent it as an actual attachment theList wouldn't have let it
through btw...

But that gives me an idea.

Now I'm guessing here, but I'm assuming that your (and my) e-mail reader
parsed the e-mail and decided that there was an attachment.

Is that why the web-based readers are kind of messing it up?  Is it that
they're just displaying the whole message without parsing it for the
attachments, but the standalone readers are?

> (Yes, it's okay to include a link to a file, so people can download it at
> their own leisure rather than when someone decides they must download it.)

Not sure if you mean in general or to the list...  If it's in general, read
below...

> Are you asking whether all email servers will convey email attachments? If
> so, then they may not.

Nope. That's not what I'm asking at all.  I'm using our local SMTP server to
send the e-mails, and I know that it works, as I've used it to send e-mails
(with attachments) before.

> This is particularly true with web remailers.
> Attachments are a known security risk... check out news.com today, or
> pretty much any week.

The people who receive these e-mails will have asked for them, and will be
expecting them.

<sarcasm>Thanks for the lecure though.</sarcasm>

Shaun