[thelist] Microsoft Application Center

Jon Hall jonhall at ozline.net
Mon Nov 26 16:26:17 CST 2001

My experience with Application Center is limited, but it seems like a very
slick package. I'd probably only reccomend it for a high end web site
though, because of the price.
You can do what you want for free though with Win2k's FRS. It handles a lot
of stuff automatically.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/samplechapters/dsdh/dsd
h_frs_tkae.asp

What it does not handle very well are conflicts with file sharing and
updates that require reboots, which Application Center can take care of
automatically, even to the point of automatically updating and then
rebooting the cluster machines on a schedule. If you can afford App Center,
and you spend a lot of time developing for a large cluster of systems (over
3 or 4 servers...), I'd say get it. It has a ton of time saving features
that don't necessarily have to do with clustering Web sites.

jon